LCD Clinical Resources
The Low Calorie Diet programme provides a low-calorie diet treatment for people who are overweight and living with Type 2 diabetes who could improve their diabetes control, reduce diabetes-related medication and, in some cases, put their diabetes into remission. Greater Manchester is one of the national pilot areas with free places available for hundreds of residents.
What is the programme?
- A free one-year programme combining specialist nutrition, psychology, and physical activity
- Provides 12 weeks of total diet replacement (soups and shakes) of up to 900kcals per day
- Supports rapid weight loss, long-term behaviour change and reduced medication from day 1 of diet replacement.
- Support throughout from your diabetes practitioner via regular contact, with online learning and supporting resources
Greater Manchester GP Information
Participating GP practices across Greater Manchester are able to refer eligible patients into the programme. Please click here to visit our Greater Manchester GP information page for more information on -
- What the programme is and how it works
- Features and structure of the 12 month programme
- Who is eligible for the programme
- How to refer your patients including our referrer training video
Results so far
We are seeing some amazing results so far including an average weight loss of 14.3kg (over 2 stone) at the end of the first 12 weeks of low-calorie diet, and an average 7.3mmol/mol HbA1c reduction. Read Derek's story below and more participant's journeys here.